Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Rainbow-ed Vision


I went to the eye doctor today to see about new glasses and contacts. I have more recently (i.e. within the last year or so) discovered that I see rainbows around lights - street lampst, the moon etc. I thought, maybe I just had super acute vision or noticed something that other people didn't see.


When I asked a few people about it, they noted that either they could see it a little bit (maybe it was because of contacts or glasses?) or they couldn't see one at all. This was somewhat upsetting. So, I decided I would ask the lovely blonde eye doctor what the deal was (since one of the questions on the paperwork at the office involved seeing rainbows or halos). At first, she said it wasn't a big deal. When I pressed her on it, she admitted it was indicative of an uncorrected astigmatism.

Bummer.

It was an instant moment of disenchantment.

Then I thought it over. Isn't it funny, when something is 'wrong' with your vision, you GET to consistently see something beautiful like a rainbow? It reminded me of one of my drawing professors mentioning her dislike of glasses. Though, in general I did not remember her fondly, I do remember this comment because I didn't really understand it, and still don't completely - though because of my rainbows, I can identify. She said, 'I had my eyes checked and the doc said I had an astigmatism. When I got the glasses to correct it, it made everything slanted. Everything was weird looking. I didn't like it...so I never wear them. It just made me feel funny.'

After all, if there was something 'wrong' with you that let you see rainbows, would you correct it?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel like there is something wrong with my vision since I can't see rainbows. At least not all the time. Can you ask your eyedoctor how I can fix it. Is there some surgery I can get, perhaps with lasers.

Alexis said...

Huh... I dunno.
I talked to some more people after I posted this. It seems weird. My dad also sees rainbows, and he goes to an eye doctor on a regular basis for reading glasses. They've never corrected any astigmatism.

I also checked at night with my new glasses. They DO correct my astigmatism, but they don't remove rainbows. I'm still not convinced that astigmatisms cause rainbows. Why do I still see them?

I suggest well placed prisms.

Anonymous said...

Hey Alexis, could you tell me a little bit more about your Rainbow effects? I see them too.

Astara said...

Hmmm...I have been diagnosed with an astigmatism, however, I have rather good vision and get it checked regularly.

I actually just started seeing the rainbows about a month ago, maybe more like 3 weeks ago.

I have especially seen it around the moon, bouncing off reflections of water, in the clouds during daytime, and even randomly inside, just as a passing vision.

I'm rather spiritual and have wondered if it has something to do with that?

Good luck, luckily rainbow vision isn't the worst thing to have, by far. :)

Anonymous said...

I actually found this website after doing a google search to find out why I see rainbows in the light. I am young (26) and healthy. My vision has always been good. I don't have glasses and my eye sight isn't blurry, but here lately in the past few months I see rainbows everywhere...I can see it in the rays of the sun, street signs at night, and just randomly. It hasn't always been this way for me that I noticed or remembered.

I decided to leave a comment when I read that Astara mentioned she was spiritual and thinking it could be connected. I am very spiritual too and noticed many internal and external changes--especially with vision. I am wondering if it is connected somehow.