Thursday, July 05, 2007

Christian Blue Ice

Here's a little bit about last evening and today. I can't even begin to recall when it is July 4 or July 5 or what in the states...so if it's happened, then excellent...hope you enjoyed the fireworks. If it's happening, I hope you enjoy the fireworks. I'll relax as much as I can on tandoori (which I LOVE, so it's difficult).


Okay, so last night we went to this 'lounge' called Blue Ice which had a bunch of couples nuzzling dressed in Western clothes. The drinks, for India were expensive, but fairly EXTENSIVE. I've been to some bars in SB where the bartender didn't know how to make a Pink Pussy (which I got by the way, because the first time I got one I was in Hungary, and it was too nice of a connection to pass up.). The music was loud and Western - hip hop, to some classic rock, to techno (which Dan and Tony should be pleased- I broke out into raver dance sitting down. This apparently was quite a surprise to the group, because they all said 'WHOA!' and stopped talking. I noticed this, and finished dancing, and they applauded. It made me feel a little weird. Then my friend Jessie was like 'Alexis is a raver!' To which I replied, 'No, I just have a raver boyfriend.' *grin*

One of the girls, Fakrah, got up and wanted to dance the Bangra. She requested as song from one of the latest Bollywood films. This encouraged a guy who is on Berkeley's Indian dance team, Ashveer, to join her. This was amazing - I'm sure you can find videos of this everywhere, but I don't have the patience to find one for you...so you'll just have to look. Bangra however, is the dance that is affectionately referred to by white people as 'screw in the lightbulb, turn the doorknob.' Anyway, their dancing received applause from some of the other patrons. It was pretty cool.

Today the thing which was most interesting was the Christian presentation in the afternoon. Christians were not solely the product of British missionaries (however in Punjab they are primarily so). Thomas visited the region of Kerala around 49 A.C.E. and there remains a somewhat Orthodox community there (I'd like to learn a bit more about this).

Christians in India are generally perceived as lower caste, even though Christians do not adhere to the caste system. Because they don't adhere to the caste system, they cannot get reservation (as dalits from other groups might). Only recently did the Indian government in Punjab call them 'financially backward' which apparently doesn't really change their situation. Yay governments!

An additional pain is that constitutionally religions are separated into vedic and semitic religions. So for example, a Hindu who wants to adopt a child has a relatively easy time doing so - they go to court and it's a relatively painless process. A Christian, Muslim, or Jew simply cannot adopt. So while India claims to be a secular country without a state religion, there are structures in place which show this to be false (beyond that of the social and cultural).

That said, Christians have done wonderful things for the state of Punjab in the areas of health and education. The first hospitals and schools were begun by missionaries, who, as per the presenters, were there to serve rather than to convert. They saw the rural regions and the lack of opportunities, including work skills, and sought to remedy this by providing institutions which would educate both women and men (girls and boys - a major change because before women stayed in the home and remained covered). Professor Mann is actually the product of a Christian college and is good friends with the presenters we had today (all of whom were classmates with him at the Christian college). In fact, one of the most prominent colleges in Delhi is St. Steven's, a Christian institution. So I guess, Christian instituions are fine, but Christian Indians are not.

Talk about backward.

My heart went out to the one woman when she was telling a story about some research she was doing where she was interviewing some women in their homes, and when the subject of Christianity came up they told her they wouldn't use glasses or plates eaten from by Christians - those were to remain separate. She told them when she left, 'Can I take my cup?' 'Why?' 'Because I'm Christian.' A conversation began about how she couldn't possibly be Christian because she didn't LOOK Christian. 'What does a Christian look like? Three eyes? 2 noses?' She said she left crying.

It was today I began to understand just why there is religious tension in India, and how it really isn't so much about the religion perse, as the socio-economic structures associated with given religions.

I hope you all are having equally interesting times in your respective places.

Peace,

No comments: