Thursday, July 24, 2008

My everyday lounge: The Sarong







So I've been stressing out quite a bit, seeing as I'm getting married, moving, and just graduated. However I will say that one of the keys to NOT stressing out too much is environment. That includes music, organization, people, food, exercise, lighting, and even your clothing. I'm going to take this moment to advertise for one of the most versatile pieces of clothing ever, the sarong.

It's just a glorified scarf, but oh the wonders of such a wardrobe piece! And those of you who are feeling a little elitist, and think, "Oh, why wear a piece of cloth worth 5$ around that was styled in South Asia?!" You all have a LOT of learning to do...

This neck knot style using a full sarong is my fave for lounging around the house or covering up at the beach...


For some alternative configurations, I suggest trying the short skirt option. This basically consists of folding the full sarong and then tying.


Or the more traditional full skirt is probably slightly less "risque" and therefore may be more comfortable for the newly inducted sarong wearer.

However the wearing fun has just begun. Because a sarong can also be worn or used as a turban, a scarf, a headband, used as a towel, a light blanket, a baby sling (though perhaps that should only be used in a real pinch) a bag (if you're feeling creative), or even a curtain.

This last style is one that I haven't really tried to pull off, but now that I've seen these handy-dandy pics I think I might give it a go.
This is "toga" style, which involves wrapping underneath and over in a way that I will have to spend some time figuring out... as of now however, it eludes me. But, that shouldn't stop you from trying the same thing. Here is a shot of the front and the back...


Good luck and enjoy the relaxing and versatile wonderful world of sarongs. I'll be quietly freaking out as I try to make playlists for the reception dinner hour.

1 comment:

clara said...

Hi Alexis - I'm Clara, a friend of Buzz's. I don't remember if I met you or not (I feel like I might have at some shindig at Jeremy's, but I'm not positive), and if I did it was a long time ago, but I just wanted to say congratulations. In the picture on your wedding site the two of you look so happy, and after reading your blog I can see why Buzz loves you so much. I hope your day is perfect, and even though I can't join you to celebrate, I hope I get to meet you in the not-too-distant future!