Friday, November 14, 2008

Metamorphosis - Human into Child of God

My mother (though it could have been both parents) once told me that maybe the Son of God thing has been read all wrong. Perhaps Jesus was just able to actualize himself, truly became human in a way that no one has that made him the Son of God. That is to say, that if we chose, we might be able to do the same. Actualization. Truly Human. Running on all cylinders.

People talk about how we have all kinds of hidden talents and abilities we simply cut off from use and therefore they atrophy from disuse... making it nearly impossible to truly be ourselves. I'm thinking of all those as my father affectionately calls them, "hooby-dooby" traits. That is abilities like empathy, telekinesis, telepathy, clairvoyance.

Certainly there is a degree of choice involved to let certain abilities go to the wayside - so yes, it's okay to choose to not pursue music as a career if you don't like loud late night outings 6 days a week. But to forget, to never open your mind to some of the things we SHOULD be able to do... those capabilities that we have that have become weak with disuse, it seems almost criminal.

A lot of people (and groups) claim to have the "prophetic voice" for this day in age. I think that's impossible. They may say things that sound similar to prophecy, but really, can a prophet call him or herself a prophet? Is that allowable? What qualifies a person as a prophet?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the obvious - if you haven't at least TRIED to actualize your humanity, you cannot be a prophet. Some of those gifts and talents we all possess to some degree must be developed at least in part. Then once you have honed some of those skills, then you can begin to act. Take your dreams and act on them. Hear and see the signs and respond to them. Act according to God's will on behalf of people and this planet and then you may yet prove to be a prophet.

I have a long way to go towards actualizing my humanity. If I pulled an A.J. Jacobs and attempted to discipline myself in systematic ways I may come closer. Practice after all, makes perfect. If I continued working with my lucid dreaming and kept a dream journal diligently I may come closer to understanding the currents of our society and spiritual will, or maybe just the currents of myself. It's hard to know.

What I do know is that the more time you spend on something the more like that something you become. So if you spend most of your time practicing being grateful, you become grateful. If you think of yourself as a loving person, you become more loving. So it follows, if you begin to see yourself as an actualized person, you would become actualized (or at least somewhere closer than you are now).

The busy work you do during your day is not enough to keep you from this if you really want it. The kids, the pets, house, money issues, car issues, and spousal relationship are not enough to keep you away unless you want to be kept away. Make time. Spend time with God. Spend time creating and listening and meditating. Spend waking time dreaming. In one month's time I assure you, you will definitely see effects.

No comments: