Friday, December 16, 2005

Leases



Once upon a time I had a significant other who loved the musical Rent. Needless to say, the association caused me to have an aversion to Rent, so much so, that at one point I vowed never to see it.

I thought, it'll be one of those really depressing things. Who wants to see a musical about nearly homeless HIV positive people? That's upsetting. Well, I should have reminded myself that most musicals, with the possible exception of Westside Story, have happy endings (or at least satisfying endings in my estimation).


Well, I finally did see Rent - but not on Broadway. No, I saw Rent in the $3 cheap theater where the fabric and paint on the walls are peeling like Inuits in Fiji, and the temperature is like Alaska in late October because the place is barely maintained. In the case of this flick, it was an appropriate atmosphere and only added to the ambience.

I couldn't help appreciating the bittersweet quality of several songs which could be described as 'inspired' (though for all of them to be deemed such would be an overstatement). I particularlly like the lyrics for I Should Tell You, Seasons of Love, and Another Day. While they reflect the particular context of the play/film, they speak to everyday life. I could see the things I'm going through right now in those songs. Rather, I could feel them.

Maybe you should go see Rent, even though you associate it with the roadkill of your best friend's dog's favorite squeaky toy, it might resonate with you too.

No comments: