Monday, February 20, 2006

Affirmative.


I recently picked up a book that had been recommended to me by my Americorps supervisor. I'm not much for self help books. When I was younger and much more guilible, I purchased one or two because, well, I thought they would do something amazing for me. They didn't. In fact, they ended up becoming an expensive doorstop. The Success Principles is, however, different. Rather than being a doorstop, it is a catalyst for change.

Extended post hereLike I said before, I'm not much for self-help books. This book sat on my bedroom floor for several weeks before I finally decided I should pick it up. It was on loan from my sup because she said I could get Americorps hours for reading it (if it works, it helps you to perform better, in theory). Seeing as my sup was getting antsy for her book back, I decided I would read it so that I might return it. I am usually a fast reader. However, with this book I find myself re-reading lines, paragraphs and sometimes whole pages. Infrequently, I even read a page out loud to myself. Needless to say I am less than half-way through. I am also no longer reading the book. No, I am still reading The Success Principles, I mean to say I am reading a different copy - my own. I got my own copy because I want to be able to refer back to concepts, and to underline things I want to find quickly.

How has this book made such a strong impact on me? The book is about getting what you want by acting like you already have it. The reason this works is because the brain expects it. When the brain expects something, it finds ways to help make it happen. Because, in this world, when you expect something to happen, it does. Sweet.

p.s. Even several weeks after I began writing this post, I am still reading this book. The most difficult part, implementing the principles. I guess once you begin it becomes easier and easier as you build up your life changing momentum. I imagine I'll keep you posted on those.

No comments: