Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Beyond Hoopla & Disappointment: Some Election Rhetoric

I haven't written very much about politics here. The subject is almost as difficult for me as religion (though somehow I got over that barrier with flying colors). I have written this in response to a note on Facebook (yes yes...I know) and the prompting of an interesting editorial.

There's been quite a lot of talk about all manner of things regarding our current presidential nominees and their vice-presidential picks. I'm not very good about making comments on the political parties (I don't feel either one of them speaks for me, which is why I am registered with neither), and I won't claim to have some sort of hand on the pulse of the times (or even my generation). I will only say this: there are some realities which can be deduced from my seat, or any person possessing some common sense and a bit of logical reasoning.

  1. Elections in a democratic republic should be about the population voting for the candidate who is best for the country, geography, locale etc.
  2. There are certain issues which are more important than others, some of which can be affected by decisions at the federal level. Decisions at the federal level in these issues will have a direct impact on everyone's lives. I'm thinking in this case of war, health-care, social security, and the economy (read more specifically: our trade deficit and our GROSS national debt).
  3. It is in our best interest, as a country, and as people, to vote for a candidate who will use good judgment in his (or her) decision-making process. That is, he or she will use a combination of expert advisors, care, reason, deliberation, consideration, and experience to cast these judgments. It is the correct balance of these attributes that will guide us through the next four years.
  4. It is in our interest to educate ourselves about the candidates as resources and time permit.
  5. It is in our interest to educate ourselves regarding these important issues and how the current state of affairs is impacting people's lives. We can, logically and soundly see just by viewing an American newspaper, understand that the economy is "tanking." We can see how poor decision-making processes have impacted the lives of military families (as well as the lives of hundreds of thousands of Iraqis and Afghans). These things are obvious even to a poorly informed person. It's not rocket science. We're hated the world over.
  6. I have to say it because it has been bothering me to NO END. The current Republican candidate is NOT a family values man. He is DIVORCED. He met his current wife WHILE HE WAS MARRIED TO ANOTHER WOMAN.... He is RICH. He has multiple properties. How can he possibly speak for the average American? How can he possibly know what's going on with people? This party is not a party of the people - it's a party for corporations!!! The Democrats aren't much better, but they are SLIGHTLY better. They have at least tried to address health-care. The Democratic candidate has worked with people laid off from their jobs, where corporations have up and left. He is a self-made man. He has had ONE WIFE. He HAS NOT TAKEN HUGE CORPORATE BUY-OFFS (unlike the Republican candidate). His campaign has been funded by grass-roots donations.
  7. Beyond the more substantive qualities, I must also confess an addiction to the great orator. Obama (yes, there I've said it) can SPEAK. He has the chutzpah required of a leader (and with an even temperament as well as in no danger of dementia!). Who wants a wooden man with the onset of dementia and possibly death (let's not get into the VP conversation. I have to agree with a BET commentator that Biden is definitely "gangsta" and is a senator of incredible integrity AND experience).
I will make a confession. I know and expect some people to vote for McCain. Some people it's a level of commitment to the Republican party (in the same way my mother's family is committed to the Democratic party - if I voted Republican EVER I would likely be disowned). For others it has to do with the Religious Right contingent (though I must confess I feel like that group is putting the cart before the horse on important issues and I strongly suggest a re-examination of the NEW COVENANT!). Still others have the die-hard dream of a small government (as if that would happen any time soon with our 1984esque Neo-Cons) and so hold fast to the traditional line of economic liberalism and localization.

I have to divulge just one more thing - when I expect someone to vote for Obama and they confess they're voting for McCain I feel an overwhelming disappointment and loss of faith in that person. So, if you are more of a private person, do let me have my delusions. I'd rather you never spoke.

Lastly, do take a moment to consider the past 8 years. Do we really want another of THAT?!?!?! If it goes that way this November I will think one or several of the following will be the case:

  1. I will move to Canada and change my citizenship. If I'm lucky, maybe I'll become European.
  2. I will have lost faith with humanity (though I'm not sure I had much faith in the masses at the start).
  3. World War 3 is about to begin.
  4. Terrorism really will have a permanent foot-hold in the Middle-East and elsewhere.
  5. I will be expecting a perfect red heifer (if you don't know, you don't need to...really, but just see below).
  6. The Ultra-Right have it correct. It really is the End of Times.
  7. I will pray several more times daily.

May everything in this time, even the worst and the disappointing be used by God to bring joy, peace, and compassionate love (and perhaps greater thoughtfulness).

-A

No comments: