Sunday, November 27, 2005

Where are the girls?!


I was iming a friend about a movie I had seen recently, 13 going on 30.
He said he preferred Big - said it was the same movie but with better writing. I thought about it and realized, I didn't like Big as much simply because it was about a male. He said that would eliminate a lot of movies if I judged them based on how evenly distributed the important parts were across genders. So I decided to do a little research on 'guy' movies and 'chick' movies.


I checked a few different cast lists of various movies off the top of my head on the Internet Movie Database. It makes sense that I wouldn't like movies about guys. Movies about guys tend to have fewer female characters - and when I say fewer, I mean it is possible to have a guy movie without a plot-essential female role. From what I can find, this is not possible in a chick movie. There is always a guy essential to the plot in a chick movie. And, even if a movie is about a chick, sometimes the guy who is essential to the plot is listed before the chick. How weird is that?

What does that all say about women's place in American culture? We're second class. We don't matter that much. This of course is a fundamentally flawed stance, because, without ridiculous advances in science, we are STILL essential in order to make babies. Yet, male dominated movies still take the stage. Chicks will watch The Saint, but they won't watch Boondock Saints because of relationships in the film. One has chicks, the other doesn't. One has relationships and has a greater breadth of emotional content, the other deals primarily from the machismo palette of feeling. Even though Boondock has some cute actors, the attractiveness simply doesn't compensate for the lack of feminine.

No one wants a completely male society. No one wants a completely female society. Half and half is definitely preferred. I don't want completely male myths and stories either. I want half and half. It's more realistic. I think realism in this situation fosters a higher level of cultural psyche health. But we still have difficulty bringing about physical health in our society, so why talk about spiritual, emotional, or mental health? That's not even on the radar of the discussion.

No comments: