Sunday, October 26, 2008

A Hobbity Hoy or something else...

Sometime during my first week at work it hit me. This is obviously an in between time. There are all kinds of obligations and requirements I need to meet, so it makes sense that I'd have a job that would allow me to meet these. I like the job (well, the training for the job) and I like the people who work there. They're nice, even if many seem to have opposite political and theological positions.

The more that came out about me to the groups, the more clear it became that this is a resting point for me. A stop on my journey meant to be relatively short lived before making the next jump to whatever I'm meant to do. I really am working a job just so Christian can get through school. Once he has his paper (and possibly a BA from my employer, or at least a few credits) all bets are off. Although, this would likely coincide with a great move anyway. Christian is hinting he wants to move over seas, this appeals to me as I find I generally enjoy being in new places surrounded by new things and conquering new problems. Once things settle down and break into a routine all too similar to a rut, I break and run. It's over. Everything is done.

I took a personality test (or I should say a couple) because a friend's blog sporting his results inspired me. It became clear as I reviewed results that I'm on the relatively right path (they suggest career paths and mine were largely: pastor, public speaker, writer, editor, musician, theologian etc...). So my current incarnation as an Academic Advisor is certainly a spring board and a jumping off point. My "hobbity hoy" or something similar. A "hobbity hoy" according to my great grandmother and my father is "somewhere betwixt a man and a boy." Obviously I'm not talking about a male person but my career, my purpose or path. Apparently it's male. But seeing as I'm not particularly interested in learning how to make rose bushes out of fondant, it might be the correct gender application.

Sigh.

Another thing which is "betwixt" is Christian's job situation. Our finances are still shaky (a recurring theme for many Americans, and indeed people all over the world). I'm not sure when my check will come through (hopefully the end of this week) and our reserves are nearly dry thanks to our car tires being replaced. The pressure to take overtime right now is high, despite the anxiety created by a semester start this week. Needless to say Christian feels guilty even buying milk.

Our church and our new friends are a small source of comfort. Game nights at friends' houses are sooo good after pizza and milk! Our praise/worship band is totally taking off (some how we recruited Christian to playing djembe, and inspired someone to play keys, though that person may change from week to week. Next Sunday we'll also have a bassist!). Hopefully we'll be able to attend a small group session on Thursdays at a bandmate's house.

Things are shaky, but at least they're standing up. We may be wobbly but we're not lying down. It's a small comfort, and also source of anxiety...as if at any time everything could crash down around us. May God provide buttresses all along our path...

No comments: