Friday, October 03, 2008

Under and Over: A Prayer Request

This past week Christian got over his flu, and transferred it to me. Needless to say, we've been taking turns being holed up in our less than ideal apartment stewing in our own diseased filth. Yummy.

It put a little bit of a wrench in our job hunting, in addition to other external factors. I applied to a few colleges in a variety of positions and two have gotten back to me. One of them expressed interest, but I was unable to get a hold of them to schedule an interview (after they requested one). The other wanted to pursue me but then the next day sent me another email saying, "Oops. We found someone for the job. We'll keep your resume on file because the law requires us to." Nice.

Christian hasn't been having much luck either. He got stuck on working security for whatever reason, however he has a goatee. Apparently goatees don't provide the right image for most security sites - they require you to shave. Neither Christian or I like him without a beard. Chatting today, we thought it might be better for him to do computer repair work. Even if he was working at a lower hourly rate (80 is typical, 40 is what he normally charges) he'd be doing better, working less time, than he would at a security job. We'll see if I can't convince him to post something around the 'hood. There's also an internet cafe opening less than 5 minutes drive from our house. That would also be an easy thing for him.

The main problem is that AZ has been so hard hit with this financial crisis. Lots of people have lost jobs, or aren't making enough money to make ends meet so they're taking up another job, or they're being pushed jobless into the market. This flood of highly qualified people with years of experience isn't exactly good for people like Christian and me.

It's really taken a toll on our overall morale. I may have started finding homes for different items in our apartment, but frankly we're worried whether or not we'll be able to stay here. Christian is worried about even being able to attend school, the whole reason for us moving out here.

I wrote to Cambridge Drive (a wonderful group of people, and if you're in the SB area you should definitely check them out) telling them our woes. In a day's time I had gotten responses telling me stories of their early married years and assuring us they'd pray for us. Which is actually why I'm writing this here, I'd like you to pray for us too. I believe in the power of prayer. I know it works. I know positive thinking works, but if you increase it exponentially, it's power increases by the same fold. A small measure of security (no pun intended) would probably be all we needed to see us through this less than stellar time.

My plan is to call/email/harass employers I've sent materials to, as well as call all the temp agencies in town. I figure, even if it's just temporary, it will still be more income then we have now. Maybe it will give me a chance to work on my book (grin).

Blessings to you and yours.
May God's peace wash over you, and God's love carry you in your times of trial.
May you find the support you need exactly when you need it.
May any suffering or trial you experience be an avenue to strengthen and grow your spirit.

Amen.

2 comments:

Topherspoon said...

We are praying for you and Christian. It's hard times for a lot of folks right now. I just this morning was blogging about how the whole process of finding work seems to have changed at some point while I was lost in "full time ministry". Don't know if you or Christian are interested, but I am sure UPS is hiring right now. The money is not great, and the hours are meager but it should pick up as we get closer to Christmas. Also, they let the hourly folks keep their facial hair.

Alexis said...

Awesome! We'll talk some more tomorrow. P.S. We love the Bono quote.