Sunday, October 05, 2008

The Sensible Social Movement

Protesters anger me. I say this, while feeling simultaneously that some protest is necessary. This is a generalization, but it's true.

I don't like random people on the street talking to me. In fact, I'd rather they not come up and talk to me at all. If you're going to talk to me about cruelty to animals, I think you should consider talking about cruelty to humans (the ones down the block, in this city, country, and world).

Don't hand me any little pieces of paper. I will throw them away. The environmentalist in you SHOULD KNOW THAT.

Social movements these days are often spearheaded by a single major organization (or sometimes a group of organizations), most of which are non-profits. I'm not saying I'm anti-non-profit. But these guys are mostly to blame. Sorry people, but once you let the cat out of the bag, it's over. Once you start, that is, you are responsible for the actions of your adherents. Their actions reflect back on you.

Some of the weird campaigns are begun in the sponsoring organization (say, PETA for example) but many come out of fringe groups of individuals loosely associated (if at all) with the central sponsoring entity. What does this mean? It means you've got a bunch of wackos running around making your cause look like it's for nutters. And you're letting them do that to you.

Control.

Mitigate.

This is the NAME of the GAME.

There are strategies and tactics organizations can use to insure there is a separation between individuals closely associated with you, and those who are the nut jobs. This involves providing clear training sanctioned at a head quarters, focus protest groups, organizers trained at the head quarters, among other things which are time-proven tried and true avenues to effecting change.

These groups who "say" they want changes to occur but aren't employing these time-tested methods don't actually want change. They want the status quo. They want their organization to continue as it's been, and frankly they're wasting your money, time, and energy. If you want things to change, then either join the board of that non-profit and force them to change, or come up with a more effective team (and I will help you do it, because I revamp, brainstorm, and start up well).

Be sensible. Be smart. And if you want to keep on keeping on, do NOT talk to me on the street. I may punch you. Or ask for your name and address.... no telling what I'll send you in the mail. :-D

No comments: